sunny.garden is a Mastodon community with a focus on indie creators of all kinds.
If you create music, draw, paint, sing, sculpt, write, design, program, build, grow, or craft, then you’re invited to sign up!
You’re also welcome to join if you’d just like a friendly place to relax.
- Go to the sunny.garden Mastodon server
What is Mastodon?
Mastodon is a social network service similar to Twitter or Instagram, but instead of being owned and operated by a single company, there are many different servers, each run by a different individual or organization on a volunteer basis. The sunny.garden server is run by @brook.
You only need to make one account on a server of your choice, and from there you can follow and talk to users on any other server.
Why should I care?
- No advertising
- Doesn’t sell your information
- Doesn’t track you across the web
- No “algorithm” to maximize your engagement
- Can’t be bought by a weird billionaire
Services like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc. exist to make a profit from selling ads. They need to maximize your engagement to keep you clicking and viewing.
Your attention and personal information are the products being sold… the real customers are the companies paying for those ads, or for information about you.
How do I sign up?
Whichever server you decide to join, you’ll be able to follow and interact with people on other servers including sunny.garden.
- First, read the sunny.garden About page and rules to make sure this server is right for you.
- Then, request an invite to sunny.garden
- Within a couple of minutes: You should receive a validation email. If you don’t see your validation email, check your spam/junk mail folder. You need to click the link in the validation email before your request will be processed.
- Within 12 hours: Requests are processed a couple of times per day, it may take up to 12 hours until your request is approved.
If you never receive the validation email, log in to double check that you entered your email address correctly, or try using an email address on a different email host (gmail, hotmail, protonmail, etc.). If nothing seems to work, you can email groundskeeper(nospam)sunny.garden for assistance.
If sunny.garden doesn’t sound like the right server for you, or you’d just like to explore alternatives, here are a few other places to look:
- Mastodon Servers For Game Developers (and other creative type people), maintained by me.
- joinmastodon.org maintained by the Mastodon project.
I signed up. Now what?
- In Review, January 2023
- In Review, December '22
- In Review, November '22
- Notes On Installing Mastodon From Source